Crafting a mortgage file for submission is an art, but did you know that your submission notes can be one of the most important parts of your deal?
Thorough broker notes can lead to speedier approvals and a smoother underwriting process.
Here are the top 5 things you should always be including in your submission notes:
1. Your Contact Details: Be consistent about putting your best contact telephone number and your business email address in your notes, especially if the submission agent is not the same agent who will be looking after the deal. This will allow underwriters to reach you quickly and easily if they have any questions while reviewing the file.
2. The Basics: Is the deal a purchase or a refinance? Is it a rush? Are your clients looking to pay out specific debts or do renovations? Will the property be owner occupied or rented? Providing a brief outline of the file in your notes can really help a deal take shape quickly for your underwriter.
3. Rates and Promotions: Are you looking for a special rate or a lender-specific program or promotion? Request it in your broker notes!
4. Potential Issues: Have you spotted something you think may cause a hiccup in your deal? Is it something that may need an explanation? Be sure to include the details in your notes. Broker notes provide an ideal forum to explain and mitigate any issues that may affect a deal.
5. Documentation: Do you have all your paperwork ready to submit? Sending required documentation up front is a best-practice strategy in any case, but if you give your underwriter a list of what you’re able to send, they’ll know to expect it, and it will be added to the file with little to no delay.
Thorough broker notes show the underwriter that you have a good grasp of both the deal and what your clients are looking for, and they can make the underwriting process quicker and more efficient for everyone!
About Magenta Capital Corporation
Established in 1994, Magenta Capital Corporation (MCC) is one of Canada’s oldest and largest Mortgage Investment Corporation (MIC) managers. MCC sources, underwrites and manages a portfolio of primarily residential first mortgages, secured by properties located in Eastern and Southwestern Ontario, two of the strongest, most recession resistant real estate markets in the country. MCC has a 23-year track record of generating superior returns for the shareholders of Magenta Group MICs. MCC exercises oversight responsibility for the Magenta Group MICs in its capacity as General Partner of three limited partnerships, each of which is wholly owned by one of the MICs.
For more information, call us at 888-267-1744 or visit Magentainvestment.ca.